Saturday, January 14, 2012

My Shabbat/trip Reflection

Often when walking through the New World one can find someone stopping to admire the rodent population. This has been immortalized in the Disney Pixar movie “UP”. However as I wander around the Promised Land I find myself shouting “Cat!” instead. I’m not complaining (though that seems to be the thing to do in Israel) I happen to like cats. But my sense of distraction also comes with a sense of wonder as I try to take in all of my surroundings. So much here is different from what we have back home, though much has odd sense of familiarity. Obviously, stray cats are just one example. Since I’ve been here [in Israel] I find myself looking every which way to take in as much as I can and straining to hear every sound, often missing things despite my vending observation. It doesn’t help that I’m trying to take pictures of everything I see, which as you may know, can often detract from the experience. But Shabbat has given me a nice opportunity to slow down and take a look around the city. Just look. And what do I see? Cats.

Shavua Tov!
Josh Renne, George Mason University

No comments: